Solomon Great Migration

Solomon Great Migration
*Logo designed by 2011 Great Migration participant Jameese C. and her brother.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"One Way Ticket" By Langston Hughes

Listen to Langston Hughes read this poem! 

     One Way Ticket
By Langston Hughes 
I pick up my life,
And take it with me,
And I put it down in
Chicago, Detroit,
Buffalo, Scranton,
Any place that is
North and East,
And not Dixie.
I pick up my life
And take it on the train,
To Los Angeles, Bakersfield,
Seattle, Oakland, Salt Lake
Any place that is
North and West,
And not South.
I am fed up
With Jim Crow laws,
People who are cruel
And afraid,
Who lynch and run,
Who are scared of me
And me of them
I pick up my life
And take it away
On a one-way ticket-
Gone up North
Gone out West
Gone

3 comments:

  1. I teach African American history at a university. What a wonderful and educational project! I commend you for creating and engaging in a project that brings history into our present consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCK MY BIG ASS BALLS ROBTHECURL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be such a fucking Cunt dude. Nobody asked for your comment.

      Delete